Thursday, September 16, 2010

My language, My Background, My identity


My Language, My Background, My Identity
            Colombia the country where I was born was colonized by Spanish; therefore, my primary language is Spanish. I grew up in a humble family and neighborhood in Cali- Colombia. I got my first words from my mother and aunts. I believe that being raised by women without a masculine figure at home made the difference not only in the way I developed my personality but also in the way I acquired my primary language. I could prove my theory when I started high school. Even though some of my classmates lived in my neighborhood, they used some words that sounded stronger for me.  The reason for this situation was that they had a father at home. Some years ago men not only played a different roll in a family but also they used some words and vocabulary that women never used. However, I also believe that children, who grew up in the same neighborhood, developed certain language and dialect that characterizes the whole community.
            The relationship with parents and relatives is very important for children in the acquisition of their first words. But the relationships with other members of the community allow children not only to enhance their vocabulary but also to develop a language as part of their identity. In Colombia for example, we recognize people because of their dialect, accent, and particular words used in each region. This means that language is an essential part of our identity.
            Although Spanish was the language I spoke at home and school, it became different when I had to interact with other classmates that came from different neighborhoods and social status. However, I conserved the essence of my mother tongue. At home we learn language by listening to mother and adults. Thus, we incorporate new words throughout sounds. On the other hand, at school we learn grammatical rules that permit us to organize and construct sentences correctly.  At college we start to cultivate our language because we have the opportunity to interact with people who have a high education.
            Learning a new language has been hard for me. Even though I have taken many English courses, the process of learning has been delayed for a long time. I am motivated to learn English but I still have big problems not only with my writing but also with my speaking and pronunciation. I believe that the process of learning a new language involves our brain. Therefore, children learn easily because they are growing interacting and listening to native speakers. On the other hand, adults have to process new information that make their learning more complicated.
           Language happens in the same way as walking or running. It is an inherent process of imitation of others. I wonder what could happens if there was an universal language. Considering different cultures, societies and beliefs, could language be a part of people’s identity? Finally, reading Deutscher I realized that language, culture and identity have an intimate relationship.

2 comments:

  1. It's fascinating that you grew up in this household of women! And that you noticed a difference between your language and the language of those who grew up around men. You clearly have very complex ideas about language acquisition and language and culture--and you have expressed them (the ideas) really well in English. I think that shows how much you have mastered English! (We can all always improve...)
    I wonder what could happens if there was an universal language. I like when you say, "I wonder what could happens if there was an universal language. Considering different cultures, societies and beliefs, could language be a part of people’s identity? Finally, reading Deutscher I realized that language, culture and identity have an intimate relationship." Many people are fascinated by the idea of everyone speaking the same language. What would we gain? What would we lose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LUZ.. Your reflexion is unbelievable interesting!!
    me gusto mucho leerla.. it is very true that women talk different than men. at least some women do! and when you are brought up in a certain way you are just not able to use or do certain thing .. in this case, say certain words that we find offensive.Even if we learn another language we stay away from words that translated to our language are the ones that we do not use, not because we dont know how to say them but because they sound vulgar or offensive.. no es cierto?

    ReplyDelete